Thanks for reaching out.
First, here is some documentation on upgrading that I think will be helpful: https://octopus.com/docs/administration/upgrading/guide
- Our plan is to have HA by taking a brand new server, install latest Octo Server and then introduce this as a node to the existing version. Will this work ?
HA Nodes must be the same version as each other. To take advantage of HA, you would first want to upgrade your server and then introduce the other one later.
- What could be the dotnet framework needed for new Octopus Server?
The requirements per version are here: https://octopus.com/docs/installation/requirements
For latest, here is the info: Octopus 2020.1 and later is a fully self-contained distribution bundling the .NET Core 3.1 runtime - no .NET Framework is required.
- Will the existing Nuget packages work with the new Server because I read somewhere that the nuget version requires upgrade for the new version of Octopus Server?
Your existing Nuget packages should have no issues. Do you happen to remember where you saw this information?
- Can we get support for upgrading to the latest version of Octopus Server?
I’m sorry we don’t offer support for upgrading if by that you mean a call/screen sharing. We do have 24 hour coverage, so if you do run into issues someone will be able to help. I think it may be beneficial to do a proof of concept test. You could make a database backup, install your current version on another VM, hook into that database backup, and proceed to upgrade as a test like if it were your prod instance to see if you hit any blocks. If you have scheduled triggers or subscriptions, keep in mind those might kick off automatically so you would need to block network traffic from this VM when doing this test. If you do a proof of concept, we can help you through blockages without any impact to your prod instance.
- Will the old tentacles on all machines work with new Octopus node?
Here is our compatibility page: https://octopus.com/docs/support/compatibility
It looks like for latest you will need at least version 4.0 of tentacle or greater.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns or if you think this answers all your questions.