Octopus Manager won't start after 2019.7.0 Octopus upgrade

I downloaded and ran the 64-bit installer (Octopus.2019.7.0-x64.msi) on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box and after the installer had finished, the Octopus Manager refused to start, saying “Windows PowerShell 2.0 or above does not appear to be installed”.

I can confirm that both PowerShell 4.0 and 2.0 engines are listed in Windows Features as installed. PowerShell version is actually 5.1 and PowerShell is on the System path ("%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0").

$PSVersionTable
Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.14409.1018
PSEdition Desktop
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0…}
BuildVersion 10.0.14409.1018
CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
WSManStackVersion 3.0
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

Please advise. This is causing problems for our CICD pipeline currently.

Many thanks,

Conor

Hi @Conor_Boyd!

Sorry to hear you’ve hit this issue, our team is currently investigating this, and hope to have a solution for you ASAP.

1 Like

Thanks.

I have simply re-run the installer for the previous version installed (2019.4.5) and I appear to be back to where I was.

I’ll wait for further advice.

Cheers,

Conor

Hi Conor,

So after some investigation, we were able to reproduce this issue.
To fix this issue you can either, install NetFramework 4.7.2 or install KB4041085/KB4049017 OS patches.

We are planning to put out another release that will update the minimum requirements to NetFramework 4.7.2, so maybe the preferred option right now is to install NetFramework 4.7.2 and I would also strongly recommend keeping all OS patches up to date.

Once again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Let me know of any other issues.

Regards
John

Thanks John.

Yep, installed .NET 4.7.2 using chocolatey and the upgrade ran right through this time.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Cheers,

Conor

Ref: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/5683

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.