Octopus License for second server instance

HI Octopus Team,

We are standing up second instance of Octopus server and we are wondering if we can use our existing Octopus license for configuring this second instance without causing any impact/issue to our existing Octopus server instance.

Wanted to confirm before we proceed on it. Please let us know.

Hi @snamilla,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Your existing Octopus license allows you to instal up to 3 separate instances of Octopus server on the one license key. Only one of those is to be used for deployments to your production environment, the others instances are for lower environments (test, dev etc).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Alex

HI Alex,

sorry for delay in responding back…

i didnt get what you meant exactly from your coments " Only one of those is to be used for deployments to your production environment, the others instances are for lower environments (test, dev etc)."

I am looking to reconfirm if our existing octopus server license can be reused to standup another instance of Octopus sever

Hi @snamilla

Sorry for the delay in getting back you on this one, and sorry that my original reply wasn’t as clear as it should be.

Your license covers you for 3 installs of Octopus server. However, what we don’t allow is for you to use this to triple your effect device count. What this is designed to do is allow you stand up a Test Octopus server to check upgrades or new process’ before using them on you main server, it’s not meant to be a second server for productions deployments.

I hope that makes more sense, let me know if you need any further clarification.

Regards,
Alex