Octopus - Jenkins Plugin

Hello,

we are testing the new Jenkins Plug In “Octopus Deploy” … But currently we have problem with the rights ERROR: Error from Octo.exe: Cannot run program “D:\Helper\OctopusTools.6.16.0” (in directory “D:\Program Files\Jenkins\jobs\Facelift\workspace”): CreateProcess error=5, Access is denied

What is the recommended setup here? Our running Jenkins User is an Admin. Things like “D:\Helper\OctopusTools.6.16.0\octo.exe” pack --id=“Testpackage” are still working and not faceing this problem.

Kind Regards
Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry about the confusion here. I’ve seen this same sort of problem before where a directory is supplied instead of an executable giving the access denied error. I.e. it’s trying to run OctopusTools.6.16.0 as the executable instead of octo.exe within that folder. You’d need to supply the full path and executable in the setup.

Otherwise it might be some user account access problem outside of Jenkins, though that sounds unlikely since you mentioned the Jenkins user is an admin.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

you mean you need to supply in Jenkins–>ConfigureTools–>Octopus Deploy CLI under “Path to tool” the full path? Maybe here we need a documentation (https://octopus.com/docs/packaging-applications/build-servers/jenkins#octopus-cli) Here it seems that only the path should outreach.

Best reagards,
Alex

1 Like

Changing the path to “C:\Users\[account]\.dotnet\tools\dotnet-octo.exe”, solved my issue.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for following up, and thanks for adding your solution Karberg! Does changing the path in that way also solve the issue on your end, Alex?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

I didn’t use the ‘dotnet tool install’ for the Octopus command tool, I choosed the direct download and pasted the Octo.exe & Octo.exe.config into the filesystem of the buildserver. Due to this decision, we configured under the “Global Tool Configuration”, “Path to tool” our path like “D:\Helper\OctopusTools.6.16.0\Octo.exe.”.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for keeping in touch! Sounds good that it’s working as needed. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.