Octopus install continously growing in filesize and getting slower

We’ve noticed our octopus server getting slower and slower. We are running version 2.6.5.1010.

Our octopus install is growing and is currently about 30GB in size. ActivityLogs stands for 15 of those, with almost 40 thousand text files.

Less then 6 months ago our octobak files where about 30Mb. Today they are ~850MB.

Suggestions on what we can do to improve performance? Can we clean up activitylogs? Can we clean out history of deploys that are over 3 months old maybe?

Thanks in advance

Hi Ivar,

Thanks for getting in touch! The text files (as you have probably gathered) are the deployment logs. A fast way to keep your data but improve the size of backups (maybe not performance) would be to archive those deployment logs by removing them from the folder so they are no longer part of your backup. In 3.0 these files are being moved to the database, but the database will also not be embedded so will not count for the Octopus usage. The change in the database will also increase the performance of the Octopus Server.

If you do not need the information from old releases and deployment logs, setting the retention policy for the Octopus Server to clean up anything that are months and months old, will delete this information from the database and clean up any other artifacts. This will improve performance even just a little until 3.0 is available.

Hope that helps!
Vanessa

Where are the retention policy settings that affect old releases and deployment logs? I only see it for backups. I am using Octopus Deploy 2.6.4.951. Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch! In 2.6 retention policies got moved into Lifecycles so you have the ability to control them for both projects and environments individually instead of at once.
We have some documentation around this here: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3048014

There is quite a bit of information, but to remove releases that includes their logs, you need to define the “Releases” section.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Warm Regards,
Vanessa