Octopus + Docker. Application config transformation

Hi,

I’ve been searching around and found this question: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/10028-octopus-docker-application-config-transformation

I’m trying to do exactly the same thing, and I’m just wondering if there’s been any change in this in the last six months, or if there’s any on the roadmap?

Hi,
I’m sorry to say that the current state of the Docker steps is the same as how they looked in the initial release. The Docker philosophy of immutability suggests that the approach should be to rely more on variables provided by the environment rather than modifying files contained within the image. Are you able to inject these variables your need into the container using the existing run step or is this a far too simplistic approach?
Unfortunately at the moment further feature development of the Docker feature set is not as high on the list of priorities as some other commonly requested tasks such as providing better support for large scale Octopus installations, however we hope to revisit this area soon.
This might not be the ideal response you were hoping to hear, but hopefully we can find a way to work around this current limitation and get your deployments working.
Cheers,
Rob

I have it working by passing environment variables to Docker from Octopus, and then doing a replacement with Powershell, but it ain’t pretty.