Octopus Devops tool upgrade from windows 2012 to windows 2019

Hi Team,

We have a requirement to upgrade the Octopus tool from windows 2012 to windows 2019. For this we need to know the pre-requisites and post upgrade challenges like any compatibility issues.

Please share the upgrade plan for what are the steps to follow before upgrading the Octopus.

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Are you planning to upgrade the OS on the current machine running Octopus or are you planning to create a new machine and then migrate Octopus across?

We recommend the latter as this would allow you a fallback option if any problems are encountered.

Our recommended approach would be:

• Create the new Windows 2019 machine
  • Move the Octopus instance to the new machine (guide available here, if the SQL database runs on the same machine, use this guide)
  • Test everything is working on the new machine and then decommission the Windows 2012 machine after a few days

Octopus is tested on Server 2019 (and 2022), so there shouldn’t be any compatibility issues.

Regards,
Paul

1 Like

Thanks for quick turn around my this.
Now we have got some idea and needs to check with my infra team whether they are going to upgrade windows in new machine/or in the existing server.

I will keep you in touch with my query.

Thank you… Have a nice day!

2 Likes