Octopus Deployment Target - How to use a container?

I want to start using temporary container to run my deployment process on.
I want to use a similar process than in the Jenkins tool where we can use container as build agent.

I have a docker image ready, and my understanding is I could use a helm chart to start it. In Jenkins I use a simple docker yaml to start my container (based on an image I created). I’m not sure where to start in Octopus

Hi @TestQA,

Thanks for reaching out, I’d be happy to help with your questions on leveraging a custom container as part of your deployment process in Octopus Deploy.

As an initial step I wanted to link our documentation on this feature, as this should provide some good information for getting started with this in Octopus Deploy (noting that this feature is available in Octopus Deploy versions >= 2020.2):

Execution Containers in Octopus Deploy
Execution Containers in Octopus Deploy (Blog)
Custom Docker Image Requirements for Octopus Deploy

In order to use your custom image for this you will need to configure an external feed where Octopus Deploy can pull this image from during the deployment process, which you’d reference in your deployment process like so (if you are hosting Octopus Deploy yourself you can run directly on the server or on a separately configured worker - note that Docker will also need to be pre-installed on whichever servers you intend to run your image from):

I know you mentioned Helm in your original message so I’ll include some documentation on our step template for this, but I don’t think that you’ll need this in order to run your custom image as part of your deployment process - but let me know if you have any other questions on what I linked or about using Helm in your process.

I hope this initial information helps in beginning to define your new deployment process in Octopus, but let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,

Britton

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.