Octopus deployment hanging

Hi,

I am using TFS to create a release and then deploy to my Octopus environments (3.1.0). The deployments have been humming along without any problems for several weeks. But I recently found my deployments hung on a particular build for several days… and all subsequent deployments were queued behind it attached … the logs, also attached, indicated no errors for the deployment which was hanging. So I suspect there was no connection to the environment at this time thus why it could not deploy.

Though my main issue here is why Octopus did not timeout ? I would have expected Octopus to timeout throw and exception and proceed with the deployment of other releases.

I am using Octo.exe invoked from TFS to create and deploy me release… e.g. arguments are…

String.Format(“create-release --version {0} --server {1} --project {2} --deployto {3} --apikey {4} --waitfordeployment --progress”, BuildDetail.BuildNumber + “.1”, OctoServer, OctoProject, OctoDeployTo, OctoAPIKey)

Is some place I need to set the timeout for Octopus, to timeout if it can’t deploy ? I want to try avoid this kind of hanging scenario in the future.

Regards,

Ruthrun

Hi Ruthrun,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Could you please send through the raw log of the deployment that was having the issues to make it easier for us to troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Please find attached the raw log as requested.

Regards,

Ruthrun

ServerTasks-2602.log.txt (298 KB)

Hi Rudy,

Octopus will wait indefinitely for a deployment task to finish unless an error is encountered. This is by design, as it’d be pretty hard to find an optimal “default” timeout as users scenarios vary widely. Unfortunately there is no way to override this indefinite task timeout.

There is a UV ticket to allow overriding this timeout that you can go and vote on.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik