Octopus.Deployment.ForcePackageDownload - Not working in release

Hello,

It seems the Variable "Octopus.Deployment.ForcePackageDownload " is not working when set within a release.

I have seen mention of a Checkbox in the UI that would force the agents to redownload the package, but I am unable to find that box.

Could you point me to where I can force the agents to redownload the source packages for a release?

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! The button that changes this system variable is in your projects package step page under Download options -> Each Tentacle will download the package directly from the remote server

I have also attached a screenshot to highlight this. :slight_smile:

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your reply!

I am currently using that option. I believe I did not provide enough information in the first post, my apologies.

The tentacle servers are caching packages with the same version number. I am trying to figure out how to force the Tentacle agents to download the package from the repository again, even if they already have a copy local. (Testing packaging procedures, sometimes repackaging with the same version number)

Is there a way that I can achieve that?

Again, thank you for your prompt response!

-Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for getting back! At Octopus we use the continuous delivery best practices and treat a versioned artifact as something that does not change. Due to this, if you were to make changes in your artifact and not give it a new version number, your Tentacle would not know to download it as it already has a package of that same version cached.

The solution is to give the package a new version number each time you change it.

Let me know if you have any further questions or run into any issues.

Regards,
Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Again, thank you for your reply.

For anyone reading this post down the line. The solution I came up with was to use the “Re-download packages from the feed server” option within advanced on the deploy page.

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for getting back! I’m glad to hear you found a solution. This isn’t exactly what that feature is designed for, but it should be a nice workaround. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Daniel