Octopus Deploy service not starting after upgrading octopus 3.3.24 to the 3.4.0 (Final version)

I tried upgrading a test instance of octopus 3.3.24 to the 3.4.0 (Final version)
But after the upgrade I want to add a new tenant but then after i press on the save button my Octopus Deploy service is stopped and cannot be started again.

See the details of my log below:

2016-08-24 08:58:28.7694 7 FATAL Error converting value “TenantView” to type ‘Octopus.Client.Model.Permission’. Path ‘GrantedPermissions[14]’, line 1, position 567.
Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Error converting value “TenantView” to type ‘Octopus.Client.Model.Permission’. Path ‘GrantedPermissions[14]’, line 1, position 567. —> System.ArgumentException: Requested value ‘TenantView’ was not found.

After i did the upgrade again (with the MSI Package) my Octopus is working again, but then after a while i get the same error message. The service is stopped and i get this message within the Octopus Deploy dashboard.

Hi there,

I’m sorry to hear you are having these issues.

From the logs, it looks like something went wrong when we ran our migration scripts, as the TenantView permission was added as part of the 3.4 upgrade.

We’ve also seen this error if someone upgraded to 3.4 and then reverted back to their previous 3.3.x (or earlier) version…

Could you please send through the full OctopusServer.log file as that should have more information for us to investigate why you are running into this issue.

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

As attached the Octopus server log.

Kind regards,

Geert

OctopusServer.zip (18 KB)

Hi Geert,

Thanks for sending through the logs. So the DB migrations worked fine (according to the logs), but it looks like there’s an old version of the Octopus Server running on your server (the errors about the TenantView permission comes from 3.3.12), do you have any other Octopus instances running on that test server?

Thank you,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

I just have installed the new version 3.4 (with the MSI file), I pointed the installation directory to my old version (3.3.12). but i didn’t get a question about upgrading the old version to the new 3.4 version during the installation.

Maybe that could be the problem? I only can see one Octopus Deploy service.

Regards,

Geert

Hi Geert,

Could I get you to check the path to the Octopus.Server.exe of the Octopus Server Windows Service, then check the properties of Octopus.Server.exe in that location under details and confirm that the version of the exe is 3.4.0?

If you could also check if you have two versions of Octopus Deploy installed on the server (under Uninstall or change a program in Windows Explorer)…perhaps 3.4.0 got installed in the wrong location and the Windows Service is still pointing to the old 3.3.12 exe version…

Thank you,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

The windows service is still pointing to the old version. But i have installed the new version in the old directory of Octopus deploy. Also within the control panel it’s telling i have installed the old version (3.3.12) installation date is 24th of August.
But i have installed this version: Octopus.3.4.0-x64.msi.

How is that possible? It is not possible to upgrade the old version to the new one?

Kind regards,

Geert

Hi Geert,

OK, so that is very strange, can I just confirm I understand correctly you have installed your previous version (3.3.12) in a custom directory (i.e. not the default location C:\Program Files\Octopus Server)?

When you run the new installer, it should replace the existing version with the new version and then upgrade/reconfigure the existing Octopus instances.

Thank you,
Henrik

Hi Henrik,

It was installed in the directory C:\Octopus.
I think that the reason why it’s not being upgraded correctly.

Regards,

Geert

Thanks Geert,

I will investigate and get back to you with what I find.

Cheers,
Henrik

Hi Geert,

So I’ve tried to replicate the issue you’re seeing without success (installed 3.3.12 into custom folder, then ran 3.4.0 installer on same folder and it upgraded successfully).

Could you check the Event Logs on your Octopus server to see if there are any errors that may shed some more light for us on what is going on here?

Thank you,
Henrik

Hello Henrik,

The problem has been solved, it was my own mistake, we use Chef to manage the server and when updating manually the version of Octopus deploy to version 3.4.0, my chef server will downgrade it automatically to the original version (3.3.12) after a maximum of 30 minutes.

I have updated the version to 3.4.0 on our Chef server and now it’s working fine!

Thanks for the great support!

Kind regards,

Geert

Hi Geert,

Good to hear that you were able to figure out what was causing the issue, and thank you for letting us know!

Thank you and best regards,
Henrik

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.