Octopus Deploy server not starting

Hello,

Yesterday we noticed that our Octopus Deploy server (3.7.10) had completely stopped responding.

After logging in I saw that the service was failing to start, and that launching Octopus Manager resulted in a PowerShell 2.0 prerequisites failure with the same a dialogue box shown in the following thread:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/51006-powershell-20-check-failing

This is a Windows 2012 R2 machine and PowerShell is most definitely installed and also in the system path.

We also have had McAfee Endpoint Security recently installed and I’m wondering if this is the same issue? Is anyone aware of a workaround or a fix, this has caused a complete outage and we would appreciate any help.

I also have events in the event logs related to the Octopus Deploy service failing to start that I can share.

Thanks,
Chad

Capture.PNG

Hi Chad,

Thanks for getting in touch! We actually have had a number of reports recently that McAfee started blocking PowerShell itself, which is causing this error. Other users affected have configured McAfee to not block PowerShell, or they have uninstalled it.

Let me know how you go, and don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have any followup questions!

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have more information on configuring McAfee to allow PowerShell?

This would be preferable to uninstalling the product all together.

Thanks,
Chad