Octopus deploy not working

Hi,
I am new to Octopus deploy.
I created environment successfully, health check is successful.

But once I deploy I am getting following error:

There was a problem with your request.
There must be at least one enabled healthy machine to deploy to in the environment, or the Project Deployment Target settings must be set to allow deployments to empty environments.
Once you have corrected these problems you can try again.
If the problem is related to a variable you will need to update the variables for this release or recreate the release for the changes to take effect.
If the problem is related to the deployment process you will need to create a new release for the changes to take effect.

Hi Joy,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome to Octopus!

This message is outlining that a deployment target must exist in the environment you’re deploying to. In your project, you scope your steps to roles, which means the steps will run only on machines that have that role assigned to it.

In the following screenshot, my step is scoped to role

My Tentacle has the role and exists in Development environment, so deployments to this environment will run this step on this machine.

Can you confirm that you have a step in your deployment process that’s scoped to a role that’s assigned to a machine in this environment, similar to the screenshots above?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

I have done exact same thing still it is failing.

Hi Joy,

Thanks for following up! I’m sorry to hear you’re still hitting this issue. Could you send some additional information to help me diagnose what the issue could be?

• A screenshot of your deployment process showing each step
  • A screenshot of the machine(s) you’re trying to deploy to (showing which roles and environments it’s in)

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,
Thanks for your support and help.
I made some changes and could able to run deploy step.
But now the problem is, it is not getting pushed to my IIS website.

Following is the error:

Hi Joy,

Thanks for following up! That’s great to hear you’ve made some progress! I’ve seen this error before, and it could be due to your version of Calamari being out of date. If this is the case, you can configure your machines to automatically update Calamari when it’s included in a deployment in its machine policy.

If this is the case, would you be willing to provide a copy of your verbose deployment logs with debugging variables enabled from a failed deployment? This will give us more detailed information to diagnose what’s going on. The process to produce and export this log is located in the following doc page. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

ServerTasks-1914.log.txt (9.9 KB)

Hi Kenneth,
Please see above attached log file.

Hi Joy,

Thank you for following up and providing the log file. Unfortunately it looks like it’s not verbose with debugging variables enabled, however I suspect there aren’t any bindings being configured for the IIS site. Octopus handles IIS bindings in a declarative way, meaning we clear the bindings during the deployment and configure the bindings you declare in the IIS step. If there aren’t any bindings, it can give this error as sites without bindings can’t exist. Can you confirm you have a binding configured in your IIS step?

If you already have bindings configured in the step, could you enable the following two variables in your project: OctopusPrintVariables and OctopusPrintEvaluatedVariables, both with a value of true. You’ll need to create a new release to apply changes, and deploy.

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,
It was issue with certificate thumbprint. I entered the correct thumbprint and my build is getting deployed on IIS now. Thanks for your support since last week.
Still, there are few issues as follows:
(1) I am deploying manually now, how do i make it automated ? Can i trigger the build deploy button automatically ?
Can i trigger the deployment once a new nupkg file addee in my feed (a path where nuget file is placed).
(2) How do i add IIS certificate to my website. Right now, the IIS website is getting added with mentioned binding but without IIS certificate.

Hi Joy,

That’s great to hear you’ve uncovered the issue and it’s working now. You’re very welcome. :slight_smile:

Regarding your first question. You can configure Automatic Release Creation (ARC) in your project, which will then recognize when a new package was pushed to the built-in feed and trigger a new release to be created with it. Depending on your build server, we usually recommend taking advantage of one of our extensions and configure the push to Octopus and add a Create-Release command to it. You can download these extensions from our downloads page and reference detailed information about them in our documentation.

For your second question, Octopus can store and manage your certificates which you can use in your IIS step. You can either enter the thumbprint directly or configure a certificate variable to be used for your binding, as shown in the following doc section.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go or if we can assist in any way. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,
Could not get luck in Automation.
I checked the ‘Trigger’ option but it does not work as I am expecting the automation to be.

Following is the feed path where I keep my nuget package files.

So if i keep a new file in ‘C:\Packages’ its not triggering the new release.

One more query :
Is there any tool like Fortify scan for code security analysis which I can use with Octopus deploy ?

Hi Joy,

Thanks for following up! The Automatic Release Creation feature only works when pushing the packages to the built-in repository, where your C:\Packages folder is configured as an external feed. In default installations, the built-in repository is configured to be C:\Octopus\Packages, however you can change the directory for this built-in package repository to C:\Packages which should get ARC working. The following doc page outlines how you can do this. :slight_smile:

Octopus doesn’t provide built-in support for tools like Fortify. While I’m not familiar with this tool specifically, generally code scans are integrated into your build server. I’ve found some information for integrating with TeamCity here.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go, or if you have any further questions moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.