Octopus Deploy cannot auto start after upgrade

We see this error when we upgrade our Octopus from v2018.4.4 to v2018.5.1

Is there anything needs to be done prior to this upgrade?

Update:
The pop-up will disappear if we click “Yes” twice. Then we have to manually start the OctopusDeploy windows service.

After manually starting up the service, Octopus seems to be running fine with the new version. However, I really want to figure out what caused that error, and if there is anything else I should worry about.

Thanks!

Ge

Hi Ge,

Thanks for getting in touch! There is nothing to worry about here, clicking yes will install the required version of the .NET Framework and resolve the issue.

Let me know if you have any further questions here.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The problem is that our Octopus host does not have internet access.

I just double checked. Even though the instance is running v2018.5.1, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full\Release in the host registry still shows 378675 (.NET Framework 4.5.1)

That means that the host does not have the .NET Framework 4.5.2 (379893) installed.

Do I need to get the offline installer of the .NET Framework 4.5.2 (379893), and install it on the host prior to this upgrade?

Thanks,

Ge

Hi Ge,

Thanks for getting back. There are some some features added in 2018.5.1 which rely on this version of the .NET framework. Whilst Octopus will still run with your installed version of .NET Framework, there is a risk of problems occurring.

We do suggest that you get the offline installer and upgrade your Server to .NET Framework 4.5.2 to avoid any potential issues.

Please let me know if you have any further thoughts or questions here. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks for the clarification! We’ll do that.

This ticket can be closed now.

Ge

Hi Ge,

Thanks for the update. Please feel free to get in touch at any time. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel