Octopus Cloud to Listening Tentacle - Unable to load locally

First let me state that I have read through many articles here and still am unable to come to a solution.

I am attempting to setup my first tentacle and am having issues. The server is Windows Server 2012. I cannot access the tentacle at https://localhost:10933/ or at http://localhost:10933/. Attempting to connect under https I get the following error:

System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Halibut.Transport.SecureListener.<ExecuteRequest>d__23.MoveNext() in C:\buildAgent\work\fe2b45bbd4978f75\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureListener.cs:line 198
2019-07-20 23:59:13.5167   1872      6 ERROR  listen://[::]:10933/              6  Unhandled error when handling request from client: [::1]:49310
System.IO.IOException: Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
   at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Halibut.Transport.SecureListener.<ExecuteRequest>d__23.MoveNext() in C:\buildAgent\work\fe2b45bbd4978f75\source\Halibut\Transport\SecureListener.cs:line 198

I have checked my TLS configuration and I have TLS 1.1 and 1.2 enabled as well as the ciphers Triple DES 168, AES 128/128 and AES 256/256. Since this is unable to load locally, this should not be related to TLS at all, but that is what most of the support articles suggest so I included the details.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

There are quite a few reasons why you might have issues connecting to a tentacle locally. First of all, it looks like you’re seeing this exception in the Octopus Portal itself, with a listening tentacle installed on the same server, while attempting to register the tentacle, is that correct?

The error message looks a lot like the kind of message you’d see if a firewall (or third-party security software) has intercepted the connection and dropped it, or if the LSA LocalLoopback check has locked down the connection attempt, or if you’re hitting a misconfigured tentacle.

So, let’s go back to the official troubleshooting advice. As per ‘If you can’t browse to the page’, can you try

netstat -o -n -a -b

to see what’s listening on 10933, and check the tentacle log to see if there are any interesting errors in there. Then lastly, could you try connecting in a browser from the local machine, and a remote machine, using the IP address/hostname of the box?

You should be presented with an “untrusted certificate” error in the browser, which you can opt to go past and you should see an “Octopus Tentacle configured successfully” message.

Thanks

Jason

Thanks Jason,

I am not running a local instance of Octopus, but rather I am using the Cloud service. I am seeing this error in the log of the listening tentacle.

This command returns the following for port 10933:
TCP 0.0.0.0:10933 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1872
[Tentacle.exe]

As mentioned in the original ticket, I am unable to load https://localhost:10933/ or at http://localhost:10933/. I am simply presented with “This page can’t be displayed”

Not sure what to try next…

OK, it was the reference to localhost in the original message that led me to believe you were trying to register locally. Just a bit of confusion there.

What I would expect to see in a browser, if your Tentacle is correctly configured, is a “Problem with this site’s security certificate” error (because our certificate is not in the browser’s trusted root list), not “Page cannot be displayed”.

Is that message coming from Internet Explorer on Server 2012? I can replicate that scenario if I go into ‘Internet Options’ and disable the browser’s TLS support, even though IISCrypto claims it’s enabled.

Lastly, did you try the connection locally with the hostname instead of localhost, or from another machine?

Thanks

Jason

Bingo, now we are cooking! This was indeed the problem and I am able to load the page locally now. I am also able to load from another machine by replacing localhost with the hostname of the machine.

So now I’m having a problem is accessing the page publicly, but that must be something on my side. Hardware firewall appears to be wide open and the windows firewall is disabled so I’m not sure what to look into next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ah awesome, good to hear.

As for accessing it publicly, well, I suspect that’s going to be very specific to your network setup. For example, I occasionally have trouble on my home setup with matching up forwarded ports, which is why I generally use Polling Tentacles (for my home lab) with Octopus Cloud these days. Makes networking much simpler.

It is very often DNS resolution or Firewall at fault, for what it’s worth.

Thanks

Jason

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.