Hello Octopus team,
I need to validate every month that Production backups (SQL+Datas) can be use, by restoring them to a Staging environment (other server and database couple) before planning Production Server update.
I created a Runbook with those steps :
- Stopping Staging server instance
- Renaming instance home folders
- Manual step giving time to :
- Restore Staging Database with Production dump
- Restore Datas from Production to Staging server
- Moving back Staging instance configuration file
- Start Staging instance
- Use API calls to the Staging instance :
- Change SMTP configuration.
- Stop health check tasks and modify machine policy to set never to health check.
- Suppress all triggers from all Spaces (to avoid unnatended executions from Staging server to Production objects)
- Restore a specific target
- Use Octopus.Migrator.exe to import a Staging specific project (with different checks)
This is working quite nicely but…
But I’m facing 2 main issues :
- Sometimes if I start the Octopus Server Manager during the time I moved the home directories it says no instance is configured even if after I stop it and put back directories. And this seems not to be happening when I don’t start the Manager during that process. Does Server manager is changing Windows Registry at start? Or some other process? VERY annoing for my “workflow”
- The API call to suppress triggers seems to be always after the automated excution of triggers at start of the Instance. I need to start Instance to call API but it directly start triggers that have been configured (in the Production server instance that have been restored to Stagging instance).
Do you have any ideas of ways to avoid those problems or maybe a best way to order all that?
PS : I have valid licence but see no place to put it as reference.