Octopus 3.0.0.1614 : NullReferenceException On PKG deploy

Hey,

I use latest early access version of Octopus server.
We have several servers on different environments, and for some reason, for some of them I get an exception:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.Shared.Diagnostics.AbstractLog.PlanFutureBlock(String messageText) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Diagnostics\AbstractLog.cs:line 73
at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentPlan.RetentionRequired(String machineId, List1 retentionTokens) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentPlan.cs:line 360 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.ActionCommand.ApplyRetentionPolicy(Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\ActionCommand.cs:line 72 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Package.PackageActionHandler.Execute(ActionCommand command, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Package\PackageActionHandler.cs:line 27 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Guidance.Execute(Action callback) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Guidance.cs:line 50 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.ExecuteActions(PlannedStep step, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentTaskController.cs:line 190 at Octopus.Shared.Tasks.OctoThreadClosure1.Execute() in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Tasks\OctoThreadClosure.cs:line 28
Octopus.Server version 3.0.0.1614

I use the exact same process and PKG.
Not sure what exactly to look for.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. We are using a new forum dedicated specifically for all issues related to the Octopus 3.0 pre-release. Would you mind signing up and posting your question over there?

http://community.octopusdeploy.com/

This issue looks a bit like this other one, which was fixed on the latest build 3.0.0.1930 (pre-release 8).

http://community.octopusdeploy.com/t/octopus-seems-to-confuse-nuget-packages-in-deployment-steps/306

If you don’t find it similar, create a new post on the forum.

Thanks!

Dalmiro

ps: There’s a high change that we’ll end up using that forum for all things Octopus, so having an account there will come in handy in the future.

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks for your support.

I tried to login to my account or reset my password with no success.
Can you help me reset my account?

I tried using this mail.

Anyhow, according the problem below, I updated the Octopus server to the latest pre-release version, still the same issue:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Octopus.Shared.Diagnostics.AbstractLog.PlanFutureBlock(String messageText) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Diagnostics\AbstractLog.cs:line 72 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentPlan.RetentionRequired(String machineId, List1 retentionTokens) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentPlan.cs:line 363 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.ActionCommand.ApplyRetentionPolicy(Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\ActionCommand.cs:line 79 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Package.PackageActionHandler.Execute(ActionCommand command, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Package\PackageActionHandler.cs:line 27 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Guidance.Execute(Action callback) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Guidance.cs:line 50 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.ExecuteActions(PlannedStep step, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentTaskController.cs:line 196 at Octopus.Shared.Tasks.OctoThreadClosure1.Execute() in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Tasks\OctoThreadClosure.cs:line 28 Octopus.Server version 3.0.0.1930

Best Regards,
Nir

Thanks for the bug report Nir, we’ll fix it in our next patch of 3.0: