Octo.exe "This application could not be started"

Hi, I’m trying to delete releases (which would actually be super handy if you just put a Delete Release button the on the web page like you do with environments, endpoints etc…!!!) using the octo.exe but I cannot run it from my machine. I get an error box popup say “This application could not be started” and when I click Yes for help, I end up on the following MSoft link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2715633

If you scroll down half way to the bit where it has this error, it says your app is not configured in a way to determine the .NET version so the vendor needs to fix the problem.

Could you please A) fix the Octo.exe or B) make a button that deletes releases (or both would be beneficial for customers)

This is on OctopusTools.3.0.18.71

Thanks
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for reaching out. There’s a button to delete release on the web UI under [Project] -> Releases -> [Release version] -> “Edit this release”. See attached screenshot.

RE the command - What version of the Octopus server are you running? And what version of the .NET framework are you running on the box where you are trying to run the command? You can get the version of .NET by running this command

gci 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP' | sort pschildname -des | foreach-object {$_.name; $_.GetValue("Version");}

Thanks,

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro

Excellent I’ve found that “Edit this release” link thanks, though I would suggest it would be more prominent as a button in the top right as is the theme throughout the web UI.

That powershell has the following results (though doesn’t show that I have .NET 4.5.0, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 installed):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\CDF

Thanks
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Just following-up for Dalmiro. This is very strange as we haven’t seen this issue before for this utility. octo.exe requires .NET 4.0 which it appears that you have installed.

I researched this issue a bit and I found a few possible causes.

• Some antivirus programs can interfere and cause this issue. Can you try disabling your antivirus and trying again.
  • If octo.exe is stored in your windows\system32 directory, try running it from another directory like C:\Temp\.

If these do not help, can you tell me what operating system you’re running? Also, what directory is octo.exe stored in?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

I did have octo.exe stored in c:\windows\system32\ yes, running just from d:\users\gavin\downloads\octotools\ now works fine!

Will just put it somewhere else that’s in my env paths :slight_smile:

Thanks
Gavin