Octo.exe push-metadata "Metadata file does not exist" error

We are using version 6.8.2 of the octopus commandline and trying to push metadata for a package with the following command:

octo.exe push-metadata --package-id=PPM.DocumentGenerator.Service --version=1.1.0-mainline.397 --metadata-file=PPM.DocumentGenerator.Service.1.1.0-mainline.397.json --server xxx --apikey xxx

We receive an exit code of -1 and output shows the following:

Metadata file does not exist

Does anyone know why this command is wrong and how to correct it.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting in touch! It looks like your command is correct, and the Metadata file should be pushed with it. Can you confirm on how you’re generating the file? Are you using the TeamCity or Bamboo plugins, or are you building it yourself?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Kenny,

Ah, I took the file name to be the that of the file that would be generated on the Octopus server when pushed!

We are not using the plugin but Octo.exe directly. What is the correct way to have metadata available for packages created without the plugin?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for following up, and I’m sorry about my delay in getting back to you on this one.

We would generally encourage you to generate the metadata file via TeamCity or Bamboo plugin whenever possible, though you can certainly generate the metadata file manually. You can reference the following link which shows the shape that we expect the metadata file to be in. CommentParser needs to match the issue tracker you use (i.e. Jira or Github).

I hope this helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny,

Think we are going to stick with our current manual --releaseNotesFile solution, until the plugin supports Remote Agents!

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for following up and letting me know! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.