Octo --create-release --package='' using Maven package

Hello, when using the Octo CLI to run create-release, there is a --package argument that you can supply to override the version of a specific package in the deployment. It accepts the following formats:

StepName:Version
PackageID:Version
StepName:PackageName:Version

However, I’m not sure how this works with Maven artifacts which require the group ID and artifact ID separated by a colon like so: com.foo.bar:MyCoolApp. I can get it to work successfully using the StepName:Version format, but I have a use case where I need to supply the package ID, but can’t seem to get this to work.

I’ve tried a few different ways using the PackageID:Version and StepName:PackageName:Version formats, but each time I get The package version for some steps was not specified. Going to try and resolve those automatically.... Simply omitting the group ID doesn’t seem to work either unfortunately. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi @justinm89,

Thanks for posting your question, and sorry to hear you’re encountering this issue.

It looks like you’re attempting to specify the package correctly with StepName:PackageName:Version, so I’m not sure yet what might be causing this.

I was wondering if you could provide me with the version of Octopus you’re currently using?

Also, do you have any channel rules configured for this project?

Hopefully these details will help me better troubleshoot, and I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Best,
Patrick

Hi Patrick, we are currently running version 2020.6.4671 and we are not using any channels on this project. My best guess is that the colon in the package ID is messing with the colon delimiter in the --package argument, but I’m not 100% on that.

Hi @justinm89,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

Would you be able to provide me with a JSON export of your process? You can direct message this to me, and I can use it to perform some testing on my end.

Also, could you provide me with details on your Maven feed (i.e. what is hosting it)? A screenshot of the package in your Maven feed (external to Octopus) may also help give me the full picture for testing.

Best,
Patrick

Sent the info in a message

Hey @justinm89,

Thanks for getting back to me with that information.

This is most likely a bug you’re encountering, and it’s possibly related to the following issue:
https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/6904

There’s a chance this might be fixed via the above issue when the 2021.3 release goes out, but I’m creating a new issue to get this looked at and will post it here so you can track it. I’m not sure if there will be any workarounds for the time being, but I’ll let you know on that as well.

Sorry I don’t have better news, but I’ll keep you updated on what I find.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Thanks for taking a look and keeping me in the loop, much appreciated. The use-case we’re trying to figure out isn’t particularly pressing for us, so this isn’t urgent. FYI, I think you may have pasted the wrong link to the issue

Hi @justinm89,

Thanks for letting me know on the urgency here, that’s very helpful. Also, thanks for pointing out my mistake with that link! I’ve updated it now, so it should be reflecting the correct issue. Hopefully that’s a bit more helpful.

Best,
Patrick

Hi @justinm89,

Apologies for the delay, but I’ve created an issue for this, and you should be able to track it here: Maven package version not picked by Octo CLI create-release when PackageId contains a colon · Issue #7083 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like this has been fixed as part of the aforementioned issue, so the upcoming 2021.3 release won’t yet have this resolved. I’m not sure when this will get worked on, but the new issue I created above should be the best place for updates.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Patrick

No problem Patrick, thanks for your help on this.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.