Object reference not set to an instance of an object when trying to change Linked Variable Groups

We’re getting “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” when trying to change Variable Groups or Script Modules assigned to existing projects (via the API or the GUI).

We’re on a hosted instance, so can’t get to diagnostic logs or the underlying database - please could someone take a look at our data and see what’s screwed up that’s stopping us doing this?

Instance is open-money.octopus.app

Many thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for getting in touch. We’ve discovered a bug related to Automatic Release Creation, that has unforeseen flow on effects to other project actions.

The bug is here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/5609

We’re working to fix it I’ll let you know when it’s done.

The work around I have for you at the moment is if you want to do other changes to your project and are impacted by this, disable ARC do those changes, then re-instate ARC. Via the Triggers page.

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

While the workaround allows for changing of the variable sets assigned to a project, we hit the same ‘Object reference is not set to an instance of an object’ when re-enabling ARC. The list of available steps to choose from in the ARC create screen does not match the available steps on the project process page.

Alex

Thanks for letting us know Alex,

We’re working on a fix, it should ship soon. I’ll post an update on this thread when it’s available.

Regards,
Nick

Hello All,

Just wanted to give you an update, we’ve shipped the fix for this issue in 2018.5.9 which is available in the Fast Lane now: https://octopus.com/downloads

Regards,
Nick

Thanks Nick that’s great - please could you arrange for that release to be pushed to our hosted instance (open-money.octopus.app) tonight (UK time)?

Many thanks,

Hi Stuart,

We’ve bumped up your instance in the queue for getting this patched faster, it should have gone through let us know if you’re still stuck.

Regards,
Nick

Hi Nick,

We’ve been upgraded now, and have been able to re-enable ARC on the relevant projects - thanks for your help!

Cheers,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.