NullReferenceException after step has completed successfully (PlanFutureBlock?)

Hi

I have started receiving a NullReferenceException after a step has completed successfully. If I change the order of steps, the error will occur on the other step, so it doesn’t appear to be related to an issue with a particular step.

The frustrating thing is, it used to work perfectly, now I’m pulling my hair out, thinking what has changed?

This is the exception:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Octopus.Shared.Diagnostics.AbstractLog.PlanFutureBlock(String messageText) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Diagnostics\AbstractLog.cs:line 73
at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentPlan.RetentionRequired(String machineId, List1 retentionTokens) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentPlan.cs:line 360 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.ActionCommand.ApplyRetentionPolicy(Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\ActionCommand.cs:line 72 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Package.PackageActionHandler.Execute(ActionCommand command, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Package\PackageActionHandler.cs:line 27 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.Guidance.Execute(Action callback) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\Guidance.cs:line 50 at Octopus.Server.Orchestration.Deploy.DeploymentTaskController.ExecuteActions(PlannedStep step, Machine machine) in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Server\Orchestration\Deploy\DeploymentTaskController.cs:line 190 at Octopus.Shared.Tasks.OctoThreadClosure1.Execute() in y:\work\refs\heads\release\source\Octopus.Shared\Tasks\OctoThreadClosure.cs:line 28
Octopus.Server version 3.0.0.1614

Any ideas?

Hi Rayden,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is an error from the 3.0 pre-release. For this particular version, we are using a separate forum to track all issues/questions. Could you please sign up and ask your question over there? The devs working on the 3.0 pre-release are watching that forum on a daily basis for errors on this version, so it’ll really help them to have this issue tracked over there.

http://community.octopusdeploy.com/

Thanks,

Dalmiro