Nuget package script are not executed after deploy

Dear all,
I have setup a test environment with teamcity and octopus in order to deploy our test project. I have follow step by step the documentation by :

1 - In my visual studio Test console project I add Octopack for my project
2- I very with the msbuild that the package file is created
3 - Then I configure Teamcity with octopus plugin in order that when my teamcity build succeed, my package is pushed to octopus server

Until those steps all is working ok.

Then I create a Project with environment in octopus and create a release to be deploy on DEV environment folder for instance.
When I press the deploy button, I can see in my folder the folder structure with diffeerent files and a cmd file and a powershel script.

All stop at this point, my application is not extracted from the nuget package and when I click manualy on the cmd file nothing happen

Any idea what is going on ?

regards

Hi Serge,

Thanks for getting in touch! Just to confirm I understand your setup correctly, could you confirm that you’re deploying to an offline drop target? Please let me know if I’ve assumed incorrectly. :slight_smile:

Can you confirm the directory as defined in your offline drop’s Applications Directory field is empty?
If you have the Custom Installation Directory defined in your project, could you confirm the same in that directory as well?
Are you able to run the cmd file as an administrator?

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
I can confirm that I am using Offline Package deployement.

Based on your question relative to directory, I have define in my deployement step the location where I want to get the Deployed packaged to be stored and directory to where it will be extracted.

When my packaged gets deployed, I can see that package is correctly stored in folder that I have define.
Then if I execute manually the Powershel scrip, it execute and package gets extracted at correct place.

If I execute manually the cmd file northing happen.

So my all concern now is to gets that package gets extracted automatically after deploy.

Does it means to add a new script step or should it be normally automatically be done during deploy,

Thnaks to let me know it steps and configuration to follow

regards
serge

Hi Serge,

Thanks for following up! Unfortunately adding a new script step to execute the cmd file won’t work, as it won’t be executed until the cmd file itself is executed. When you deploy to an offline drop target, Octopus bundles everything you need to manually execute the deployment on the target server, and doesn’t execute it automatically. You need to take the folder that Octopus produces and manually execute the file on the target machine. Whereas standard deployments to Tentacle will extract the packages during deployment.

Offline drops were built to suit scenarios where installing Tentacle isn’t an option, most commonly due to not allowing external network access. Would you be willing to expand a bit on your use case of offline drops? Are you unable to install Tentacle on the target server for a specific reason?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to a good solution! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi kenny,
Thanks for your feedback.
I have try the offline package scénario because the whole architecture is fully internal to customer private network, no cloud storage. So if off line gets this limitation that is fine because it is not clear in the documentation.

Now relative to what you call Tantacle what it is exactly how to configure my same scénario for using Tantacle?

By the way have a simple other question. So far customer bas vis own package solution which is based on Gemalto and générale set up.exe file.

Does octopus is capable to push or generate such file as well? What would be best solution to go?

Regards
Serge

Hi Serge,

Thanks for following up! We have great documentation on how to install the Tentacle agent on Windows hosts. It’s basically the method of communicating between the Octopus server and target servers to perform deployments on your targets.

There are two different communication styles; Listening mode which your Octopus Server contacts to trigger a deployment, or Polling mode which the Tentacle periodically connects to the Octopus Server to ask if it needs anything to do.

When you deploy a package to a Tentacle, the package is automatically extracted in the same way as manually executing the cmd file as you’re currently doing on offline drop targets.

If you’re not using Windows hosts, another option is SSH targets.

Regarding your question about deploying the setup.exe file, our generally rule of thumb is anything you can package (nupkg, zip, etc.), Octopus can deploy!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks, all is clear now

Hi Serge,

You’re very welcome! Don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have any further questions or concerns in the future. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.