NotSpecified: You will need docker installed and running to pull docker images

Hi There,

We have an on-prem install of Octopus v2022.2.

I have just built a project to deploy a Azure web app from a container image. However when running the deployment it fails at “acquiring the image” step with the error:

NotSpecified: You will need docker installed and running to pull docker images

We’re running the step from the Octopus server on behalf of the deployment target and I’ve installed Docker EE on the Octopus server (I’m choosing Docker EE over Docker Desktop as Windows Server 2019 includes the license for Docker EE)

I can run “Docker Version” from PowerShell on the server and receive the following response:

PS C:\Windows\system32> docker version
Client: Mirantis Container Runtime
 Version:           20.10.9
 API version:       1.41
 Go version:        go1.16.12m2
 Git commit:        591094d
 Built:             12/21/2021 21:34:30
 OS/Arch:           windows/amd64
 Context:           default
 Experimental:      true

Server: Mirantis Container Runtime
 Engine:
  Version:          20.10.9
  API version:      1.41 (minimum version 1.24)
  Go version:       go1.16.12m2
  Git commit:       9b96ce992b
  Built:            12/21/2021 21:33:06
  OS/Arch:          windows/amd64
  Experimental:     false

I believe this issue was identified in Calamari and ‘fixed’ in this commit: Improve checks for docker · OctopusDeploy/Calamari@3ac78b5 · GitHub

Which was then ultimately pulled into C# using this commit:

My question is how do I get this ‘fix’ on my on-prem install of Octopus?

Thanks
Simon

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for your docker query.

We have seen in many cases like this that Octopus server probably just needs to be restarted to refresh the PATH and include the docker binaries in order to find it. I would start with that in the first instance to see if it resolves.

On your question regarding that commit, I chatted with the engineer who worked on that and they reckon its not related directly to the issue you are having. The commit is more to warn customers that sometimes cached images are not available and that some delays may be experienced downloading.

I would also recommend a newer version of Octopus if you have the opportunity to upgrade, as new fixes and features are constantly being added. We have an excellent guide to having the best upgrade experience with Octopus:

Let me know how you get on and we can dig a bit deeper if this doesn’t resolve on restart.

Kind regards,
Paraic

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.