Not Able to Push to New Tentacles

I have an “empty” service to test OctopusDeploy that has successfully deployed to my first environment. However, my subsequent two test environments do not move any files across. The Portal task says “Success” but the empty service is not installed. Further, there are no files inside of C:\Octopus\Tentacle\Applications,

The log message shows the following:

2011-09-22 23:19:04 INFO Deploying release ‘1.0.3.0’ of project ‘Empty (Test) Service’ into environment 'Seth Test’
2011-09-22 23:19:04 INFO Downloading NuGet package EmptyService 1.0.3 from feed: 'http://myServer.myDomain.com/nuget.builds/nuget/'
2011-09-22 23:19:04 DEBUG Found package EmptyService 1.0.3
2011-09-22 23:19:04 DEBUG Completed download of NuGet package EmptyService 1.0.3
2011-09-22 23:19:04 INFO ##################################################
2011-09-22 23:19:04 INFO # STEP: 1. EmptyService
2011-09-22 23:19:04 INFO ##################################################

And that’s it. It does not appear to connect to Tentacle.

I’ve updated the certificates with the ones from my portal (using Copy button) and have the service running under local administrator privileges, but cannot figure out why this isn’t working.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Seth

Hi Seth,

Does your project have an entry for the package that maps it to machines in your ‘Seth Test’ environment? This kind of empty output usually means there is a mapping for the machines missing.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I was indeed missing the mapping in the Project “Steps” section. I added the environment after I added the project and had not yet associated my build step with that new environment. So, I fixed that up.

Now, in the logs, I see Octopus reaching out to the correct Tentacle, but the connection attempt times out. I can still deploy this service to my original Tentacle, but neither of my new ones.

Error text is Attached to next entry:

I edited my previous post to remove error text, as it cluttered the conversation. The error text for the previous post is attached to THIS post.

OctopusDeploy.Error.log (5 KB)

Paul,

Fixed it! And, in doing so, I have a suggestion that you may with to fold into your deployment instructions: Firewall access for Tentacle.

It turns out that my first environment’s firewall exposed many port ranges that were outside of its default configuration. The port that Tentacle uses (10933) was one of these. Consequently, I was able to deploy to this machine from the beginning. The new machines had no such open port ranges in their respective firewalls. This blocked the Octopus Portal from reaching those Tentacles.

My fix involved creating a Firewall Inbound Rule that opens port 10933. As soon as I saved the rule, I could easily deploy my service from Portal to Tentacle. This was on a Windows 2008 R2 server with IIS7.

As a suggestion for other users on testing this, pull up a browser and point to http://[servername]:10933/Packages and see if you see the WSDL for the service. If you can see it from the Portal machine, then Portal can see it.

Thanks for all your help, and I hope this bit of info can contribute to the Octopus project.

-Seth

Thanks very much Seth, and glad you got it sorted. I’ll add this to the guide!