No package version was specified for the step x

Hi,

I’m using the “Deploy a Release” step in my Runbook to deploy a release of of a different project.

When I try to publish the Runbook I get an error:

“No package version was specified for the step x”

I’ve seen some posts with similar questions but none seem to address this scenario.

edit: some more details.

I’m looking Deploy a release by calling a deployment process in project A. The steps in that project are scoped is to run on targets in Role A.
I’m trying to call this process from a runbook in project B and execute it on the target in role B.

The “Deploy a Release” seems to be forced to run on the Octopus Server.
Can I run it on Role B?

Hi @bneuwirth,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this unexpected and inconvenient behavior. I appreciate your report and for the details you provided. That certainly looks like a bug to me, and you should be able to use Deploy a Release steps in runbooks. I’ve been able to reproduce this issue and raised a bug report at the following link.

Regarding your second question, you’re correct the Deploy a Release steps can’t run on roles, and there’s no way I’m aware of to change the roles the steps are scoped to when deployments are triggered by Deploy a Release steps. Please let me know if I’ve misunderstood anything here though, or expand on what you’re looking to do exactly and I can try to think of any other options to achieve it. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back, and let me know if you have any questions or concerns going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks Kenneth.

That does answer my question and once that bug is resolved I think I can work with the deployment target being the Octopus Server.

Thanks for your help,

Ben

Hi Ben,

You’re very welcome, and thanks for following up so quickly. I’ve brought this up with my team to prioritize, so I’d recommend tracking the progress of it at that above issue link.

If you have any questions or concerns going forward, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.