No Administrator Access after New Install

Just installed version 3.7.11 on Server 2008R2, chose AD authentication, entered my domain account.
Install completes, but when I navigate to site and log in using Windows Authentication, i see only the ‘dashboard’ tab. No other tabs.
If I click ‘configure dashboard’ link, i get the message:
You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: EnvironmentView

I should be the administrator. Why can’t I access admin functions?
Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! I have an idea why your permissions may seem incorrect. When you entered your username for AD, did you do so in “NT” format (domain\username)? If Octopus doesn’t recognize the AD user’s account when logging in, a new account will automatically be created. It’s possible that you have ended up with 2 entries in the User table in the database, and are logged in to the unexpected one. Would you be able to confirm that data in the User table using the query:

Select * FROM dbo.[User];

You can also change the user to be an admin via the command line, as shown in our documentation.

Let me know how you go!

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

Yes, you are correct that I have two user entries.

I tried running the reset admin steps, but see no difference.

Anything else to try? Or should I just uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Did you try running the below command?

Octopus.Server.exe service --stop
Octopus.Server.exe admin --username=Domain\UserName
Octopus.Server.exe service --start

Regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Yes, I had tried that with the Domain\UserName and it made no difference.

I just tried it with the username of the ‘other’ user and it worked! (it had the username format of UserName@abc.AD.xy.zzz)

We can close this ticket (if one was opened)

Thanks for the help!

Tony

Glad to hear you are up and running.

Cheers

Hi,
I am facing same issue after installing 3.11.2 fresh installation. Both domain\username, email not working, user can log in but below issue.

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: EnvironmentView

its first time login issue.

Regards,
Ashish

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for reaching out! As mentioned in earlier posts on this thread, this will occur when a user authenticates with AD, but no Octopus user exists. Octopus will automatically create a new user, and assign the user to the Everyone team, which has limited permissions by default. That will then display exactly as you’ve described when logging in with that user.

Have you tried running the following command to make the user an administrator (as shown in our documentation)?

Octopus.Server.exe service --stop
Octopus.Server.exe admin --username=YOURUSERNAME
Octopus.Server.exe service --start

Have you checked if there is a duplicate entry in the SQL database by running the following SQL query?
Select * FROM dbo.[User]
And logging in with the other user if so?

Let me know how you go!

Kenny

I got it working by removing all users and adding new one.

Hi Ashish,

I’m glad to hear you got it working :slight_smile: Please let us know if you have any further questions at all.

Best regards,

Kenny