Newer Tentacle version doesn't show correctly in older Octopus on initial add

My understanding is that any 3.x Tentacle should work with any 3.x server: https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/compatibility

We have a server that’s still running 3.13.10; we had some new machines that needed Tentacles install,ed but since it’s supposed to be compatible (I thought) I went ahead and installed 3.14.1 Tentacles.

While they were able to register properly, they initially showed up in Octopus as v0.0.0 Tentacles. They were fixed on their next health check, but it was still a little bit disconcerting to see.

Is the bad initial version expected with any Tentacle version (and I just hadn’t noticed it before), or is it something specific to using a newer Tentacle than the server?

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out! So far we’ve only seen 1 other record of a similar behavior which was also fixed after the first health check. Are those machines by any chance running Powershell 2.0?

Best regards,
Dalmiro

No - they’re both Windows Server 2016 machines running PowerShell 5.1.

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay on my answer here, I wanted to double check this with one of our devs. This is the expected behavior, as we don’t know the version of the Tentacle until we run a health check on them. Highly possible the health checks were executed too fast in the past so you never noticed it.

Best regards,
Dalmiro