Newbie Quesions

Hi,

We are just starting to use Octopus and before I jump straight in I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to do variable substitution on a .csdef file? The reason I ask is that we change the number of instances of a cloud service and also the size between our different deployments.
  2. How do you deal with enabling Azure Diagnostics during a deployment? Is this covered or would we have to do this ourselves?

Thanks in advance
Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting in touch! You can specify any file type for our substitute variables in files feature. You have to insert an Octopus format variable, which if not expanded or needed in build may cause issues

For your second question, It look like you should be able to script in a step that can perform this. There is a page on the Microsoft Azure site on enabling diagnostics in Azure Cloud Services by using PowerShell; Here is the link: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-diagnostics-powershell/

Let us know how you get on with this, it would be interesting to hear the results. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

So octopus extracts everything out of the cspkg and then performs variable replacement on named files/types? If so, that sounds good.

We already have some powershell (from within TC) to enable the diagnostics but it fails every now and again. I think when we originally wrote it there was very little documentation about it so I’ll maybe revisit using that article. If we can get it working from within TC then it should be fairly simple to translate into Octopus.

Thanks for the help
Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for getting back! Glad I could help. :slight_smile:

That is correct!

Please get in touch if you have any more questions or run into any issues.

Regards,
Daniel

Notice:

This issue has been closed due to inactivity. If you encounter the same or a similar issue and require help, please open a new discussion (if we asked for logs or extra details in this thread, consider including them in the new thread). If you are the creator of this thread and believe it should not be closed let us know via our support email.