New release says "Something has changed"

When I go to the Create Release page and make a release, then directly go to the deploy page I am getting a banner saying “Something has changed since this snapshot was taken”

But I just finished making the release. I have literally done nothing except start a deploy (I did even get to actually execute a deploy).

This happens for all new releases in my project.

When I look in the audit, it shows my most recent changes to the process (the ones I saved prior to creating the release). And all changes in the history are made by me (no one else is working in this Octopus Space).

Why does it think there is a change when I have not done one?

1 Like

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for getting in touch! Yeah this is certainly a strange one, and I’m sorry for the confusion and inconvenience we’ve caused here. This looks identical to a recently known and since-fixed bug (in 2021.1.0) where this message was surfaced incorrectly if you had notes set on any steps in your process.

Are you using the Notes field in any step in the process? E.g. right here on the step:

The notes field was causing this issue because the deployment process snapshot that’s created wasn’t copying the Notes field, but instead it has a null value. It’s then comparing the snapshot against the live version which is going to always different. Furthermore, deleting the value in this notes field sets the value to “”, so it’ll still incorrectly compare against null and recognize the difference. So unfortunately the only workaround until upgrading to 2021.1.0 is to recreate the step from scratch, and not use the notes field.

Please let me know whether or not this matches your scenario. I’d like to jump back into this one if it doesn’t explain this behavior.

Best regards,

Kenny

1 Like

That sounds like it could be what is affecting me. (I do have notes in my step.)

The “What’s New” page for Octopus Deploy lists the latest version as 2020.6. Is there a plan for when 2021.1.0 is due to drop for on premises installations?

1 Like

Hi @OctopusSchaff,

Thanks for following up! I’m hoping 2021.1.0 will drop early next week, but unfortunately I can’t give you a concrete ETA.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.