New Instance, Log not updated

Hi Recently, I have created new instance and Now my log file is not getting updated. How to trigger the log? Any configuration Changes required?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. There’s not an on/off switch for the logs, they should be working at all times. Which path are you checking exactly? super sure you are not checking the log path of another instance (common mistake I make all the time)?

Best way to get the right path always is by it checking from the Octopus Manager (see attached screenshot)

Regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Thanks, But I am checking at the right place what OCD Manager shows. But I am using the same home directory for my instance 2 also, will it Impact? if so, is there a way to correct it? Instance 1 is topped and is no more going to be used/active.

Thanks,
Vijaya Paramasivam

Hi Vijay,

• Is this happening for an Octopus Server instance or an Octopus Tentacle instance? I’d like to attempt to reproduce this behavior on my end and discuss with the team what should happen if 2 instances use the same directory. Most likely It’ll break things and we’ll advice you not to use the same dir for 2 instances. But if you can let me know if this is for an Octopus Server or Tentacle, I can give this a try myself.

• If this second instance is not gonna be used, could you delete it and see if that brings back the logs?

Thanks,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

It is Octopus Server Instance only. Recently we have a done a DB migration. Moved the DB in the same server to separate server. As part of Migration, I have stopped existing instance and created new one and used the same directory to avoid missing data( packages etc).

Also since it was huge amount of data tool migration didn’t help, so created backup and used that DB for new instance.

Kept the old instance as a back up, and will be deleting this week after the Users Confirmation.

My query was why the running instance could not create a log file. Any config file conflict?

Thanks,
Vijaya Paramasivam

Hi Vijaya,

I consulted this one with the team, and all we could think of was that the account running the new Octopus Server service might not have enough permissions to read/write on the Octopus Home directory (where the logs,packages, etc are stored). This is the first thing I’d look at for troubleshooting.

There’s also a small chance that it might be a file lock in place, which you could work around by deleting the OctopusServer.txt logfile so the current instance can create a brand new one.

Let me know how that goes,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Access problem might not be, as there is no problem in Package addition. Till Friday we have packages created in that folder. Also Task logs are written…

Deleting old txt file also didn’t help… Stopped and restarted the service. No Luck.

Regards,
Vijaya Paramasivam

Hi Vijaya,

• Under which account is the Octopus Server service running? If its running as a System account, is it possible for you to change it to another admin account (like your own for example) just for the sake of testing?

• Have you looked for any Even Log entries related to the fact that logs cannot be written?

• As a last resource: Have you tried rebooting your windows server? This is not an advice we ever like to give, but this is the first time we get this report and we are running out of possible reasons of why this is happening.

Let me know how that goes,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Sorry for late come back, we have now decided to delete the unused instance. But before that would like to know, what are all the files will be deleted/affected by this activity.

Quick reply would be helpful.

Thanks,
Vijaya Paramasivam

Hi Vijaya,

Dalmiro is on leave so I am taking this ticket. We do not delete any files on the system when you delete an instance. The only changes made is the service is uninstalled for that instance and the registry entries are deleted.
But we keep any files that were created on disc.

Please let me know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:
Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa, This is what I needed.