Nested steps are showing up as being executed even though the parent step condition evaluated to false

After upgrading to version 2020.4.6, we noticed that on the detailed deployment page that our nested steps are showing up as being executed even though the parent step condition evaluated to false, which would mean none of the child steps should be executed. The child steps didn’t actually do anything, which is good, but it’s misleading if you are looking at the summary page and see that the step executed. You have to expand the parent step to then see that the first child step was skipped, but the rest say they executed. You have to look at the detailed section of each step to see there was no output and the step took 0 seconds. Here’s what we are seeing with deployments after the upgrade:

For deployments before the upgrade:

I would expect that all of the child steps in the first screenshot would be grey, including the parent step when the parent’s step condition evaluated to false. Like I said, it’s not deploying anything, which is good, but it’s misleading when looking at the output of the deployment because you think the step ran, which it wasn’t supposed to.

Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for reaching out and all the information.

Would you please be able to privately message me your deployment process JSON so that I can reproduce the behavior? To get this go to the Project, then the process section, then click the 3 dots to the right of add step and click download JSON. Also, could you please attach a full task log from the task with the behavior if possible.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Sure can! I’ll get that to you shortly.

Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the info. I’m going to work on reproducing this and update you with progress.

Please feel free to reach out in the meantime.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Jeremy

Hey Matt,

I’ve created a github issue for this. You can subscribe to it here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/6635

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know.

I hope you have a great rest of your week.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks for the update, Jeremy! Looking forward to a fix.

Thanks,
Matt

Hey Matt,

You’re very welcome!

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.