Nested lifecycle

I’m looking for suggestions on the best way to meet a business requirement. I think of it as nested lifecycle. We have Development to UAT. Once UAT has successfully passed, it’s available to deploy to 3 different regions (NA, EMEA, Oceania), but each region MUST have two phases: Handover (HO) and Production (Prod) in that order. Each region will themselves decide when to promote to HO and then Prod, so they’re three separate branches at that point, but they all branch from the same common Dev and UAT phase.

I’ve been looking at channels and tenants, but both seem to want their own Dev and UAT along with the HO and Prod.

Perhaps I misunderstand this. Can you point me to an example on how to do this?

(or) EMEA ( HO -> Prod)

(Dev -> UAT) (or) NA (HO -> Prod)
(or) Oceania (HO -> Prod)

Thanks

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is a great question, and I think we can get at least close to what I believe you’re after using multi-tenancy (which can be very quickly described as slices of an environment).

Just to clarify to ensure I’m on the same page, each branch splits at the region phase, and you want each of these branches isolated from one another as you promote them to Production? And you’re looking to avoid having 3 separate HO and Prod environments (one for each region, i.e. HO-NA, HO-EAMA, HO-Oceania, etc.), is that right?

Based roughly on our Tenant aware lifecycles blog post, I’ve set up an example scenario based on my current understanding of what you’ve described, and I think it may potentially help with modelling your architecture. I have 4 environments in my lifecycle: Development, UAT, Handover and Production.

I’ve set up 3 tenants for each region: NA, EAMA and Oceania, and connected each to my project and the Handover and Production environments (the below screenshot only shows NA tenant).

I can only deploy to Development and UAT as untenanted. But when the release reaches UAT, I can deploy the same release to Handover for any of the 3 of the tenants, and each tenant’s deployment has to go through this environment before going to Production for this tenant. I’ve pasted a screenshot below to visualize the result.

Would this be of help to your planning for the time being? Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions, or want to clarify something I may not be addressing. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.