Need to reindex /Octopus/Packages without restarting

Hello,

I’m finding that nuget push is not sufficient for moving my packages from my build environment up to my octopus server, and would prefer to use FTP. Thus far, the only way I’ve seen to trigger a re-index on the built-in package repository is to restart the octopus service. Is there another way to trigger a re-index? Perhaps through the api?

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for getting in touch!

No, unfortunately there is no way to run the re-index through the API.
You could raise a UserVoice ticket here and suggest us add this functionality.

Sorry for the bad news!

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik

Henrik,

I really think this is more of a bug than a feature request. Nuget.Server and Klondike both automatically scan the file system and add new packages to the index as they appear. Octopus’ failure to do so is preventing us from using the built-in feed.

I’m sure your other clients are also running into the same issue, now that you have fixed the index performance problem. Ideally Octopus would automatically handle this situation , but I would think that a manual trigger for the reindex should be a simply fix, since the logic is already there during service startup.

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the reply.

As reindexing can take a very long time to complete and uses quite a bit of resources on the server it may have a negative impact on the rest of your Octopus server.

I’ve discussed it with the team and we’ve decided that we’re raising a UV ticket for this request. You can follow the progress of it here.

Thank you and kind regards,
Henrik