Multiple tentacles on the same node?

Hi Octopus,

Can you tell me if there’s a way to install more than one deployment tentacle on the same server?
We run multiple environments on the same server and are often met with the scenario where a deployment is stalled and the tentacle is busy deploying another build.

I was hoping it would be possible to create a separate Windows service and run this under a different port??

Many Thanks,
Edd

Update…

I’ve found out how to do this now using the documentation below. The secret is to create a new instance name.
Currently testing the deployments to check both instances can run side by side without causing any conflicts.

Great, glad you found this! We have a page discussing how to do this for the server - there might be some info in there that helps with Tentacle instances as well: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Managing+multiple+instances

Regards,
Nick

1 Like

Hm, seems it’s still blocked even thou I have multiple tentacles. Am I doing anything wrong?

My setup is :
We only do Azure deploys, so all the environments have 2 “machines” with the same role “AzureDeployer”. In my deploy steps, I’ve given “AzureDeployer” as the Machine Role to deploy to.

If I try to deploy two apps at the same time, they always get the same tentacle and have to wait.

I thought if I had several tentacles it would do round-robin on each tentacle, but I guess not? Any recommendations on how to balance the load on each tentacle?

Hi John,

You’d need to set one step to use one role, and another step to use a different role (e.g., AzureDeployer1, AzureDeployer2). We’ll be improving this in the 3.0 release; for now that’s probably the best workaround.

Paul

Okay, thanks Paul.

Need to avoid busy tentacle service, so want to install another deployment tentacle on the same server as existing one, what has been improved in 3.0?

I attempted to install another tentacle using a new instance name and the windows service was installed and it starts and runs, however, the existing service will not stay running. It starts, but then quits after about 3 seconds with this error in the event viewer:
Faulting application name: Tentacle.exe, version: 2.6.5.1010, time stamp: 0x551cc353
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18292, time stamp: 0x56fcb50a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008a5c
Faulting process id: 0x20d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1cc90512ff66a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8fb31816-3883-11e6-8101-0050568966ff
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I had to actually create a new Tentacle.config, change the port in it and the name, as well as use a different port than the initial deployment service. Now both services run together without errors. Octo server can now see it and am able to configure deployment target to the new service using a diff role. Have a cert issue to fix but other than that, seems to work.