Multi-project deploy without package for second project

Hi,

I try to run a two-project setup. Project A contains the main process. For every environment, the process of A creates a corresponding release of B (Dev A => Dev B …). Process A is initially triggered by TeamCity (Push, Create Release, Deploy Release). The problem is, that when I add the “Deploy a release” step to process A, this fails in TeamCity in the “Create Release” step, because of this error (GIST).

Process B does not need any packages or else because it’s only running scripts and can get all the needed information from process A. Never the less, it looks like (from the TeamCity log) it requires a package because A and B are “dependent”.

What can I do to resolve this problem? Can I deploy a release of B without providing any package at all? I might solve this by just adding another “Create Release” step to TeamCity but in my opinion, TeamCity should not care about the process Octopus is using.

Any help is welcome.

Hi @Heurazio,

Thanks for getting in touch! That’s a good question, thanks for sending through this information but please let me know if I’m misunderstanding anything about your setup. :slight_smile:

Selecting a release version (of the project the Deploy a Release step targets) is done in the same way as selecting a package version in standard package steps. I.e. when creating a release you’re prompted to select the version of a package that a package step is going to deploy, and this is the same process to select a release version of the child project, even down to the same argument (--package="DeployReleaseStepName:ReleaseVersion") needing to be passed in via the Octo CLI (which the TeamCity plugin uses under the hood). Like how you can’t select a not-yet-existing package version at release creation, you can’t select a not-yet-existing release version of the child project at release creation.

Other than your idea to have TeamCity create a release, which should work, you could probably do this by using the community step template Chain Deployment. This works a bit different in that you can configure it to create a release of the child project when the step actually runs and you don’t have to select the release version ahead of time. Would this work?

https://library.octopus.com/step-templates/18392835-d50e-4ce9-9065-8e15a3c30954/actiontemplate-chain-deployment

Let me know what you think, or if I’m off base with how I’m understanding what you’re after!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi @Kenneth_Bates,

you understood my problem correctly and the solution worked.

Thanks a lot.

Hi @Heurazio,

Sounds great! Thanks for following up and letting me know. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.