Msbuild /p:RunOctoPack=true missing files

DLLs are missing when I package using MSBuild.
msbuild ./MyProject.vbproj /p:RunOctoPack=true /p:OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles=true

There are no missing files if I use octo pack directly
octo pack --id=“testing” --format=“zip” --version=“3.3.3” --basepath=“MyProject\bin\debug”

Both of these commands work on the same folder, and I have verified the files exist in that folder.

The missing files are from the ActivePDF nuget package. The files are created in the bin/debug folder during the build process.

From MS Build:
Microsoft ® Build Engine version 16.9.0+57a23d249 for .NET Framework
OctoPack: OctoPack version: 3.6.4.0
For Octo pack directly.
“.octopack/octo” version 4.42.2

Msbuild uses an octo nuget package and there is no version 4.x.

My nuspec is trivial:

MyProject
MyProject Title
Dev Team
Me
http://temp.abc
http://temp.abc
false
MyProject

Hi @don.chambers.pub,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support.

If you haven’t already, I would recommend checking out our troubleshooting documentation here:

If you are still having trouble, let me know and we’ll dive deeper. :slightly_smiling_face:

Regards,
Donny

I’ve already read that.

• The missing files are in the build output directory, but are not being packed.

• There is no file element in my .nuspec file.

• The log file (from the /fl argument), has no reference to the missing files (no error or line that shows added)…

Packing creates a obj/octopacking folder, and there is a .nuspec in that folder. This generated nuspec has a file element, and it is missing the files that don’t get packed.

Example:
My bin/debug folder, created by the msbuild command, has these two files: APToolkitNET.dll, PTK.dll.
The intermediate obj/octopacking/MyProject.nuspec has a file element for APToolkitNET.dll, but does not have a file element for APTK.dll.
The resulting package has APToolket,dll, but not APTK.dll.

Hi @don.chambers.pub,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Generally, we recommend customers use octo pack as the OctoPack tool is deprecated. Would it be possible for you to use octo pack going forward?

Let me know if that seems like it would work for your use case or if you have a specific requirement that forces you to use the OctoPack tool.

Regards,
Donny

In this case, msbuild is building on a solution with 52 projects, and packing them. We just started having this problem when we added a new package. This works fine for everything else.

For new things, we are using octo pack directly.

Hi @don.chambers.pub,

Thank you for the quick response.

As OctoPack is depreciated, I think the best path forward would be to move these projects away from OctoPack and use the octo pack command instead.

I wish I had an easier answer. I appreciate that this isn’t a small task with 52 projects on hand.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or if we can assist with anything else.

Regards,
Donny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.