Moving tentacles to a new server

I have to move a lot of tentacles from one server to another. Is there an easier way of doing this besides manually recreating each one on the server? I did see a script for copying the tentacle but it looks like that is only for copying to another instance on the same server.

Thanks!

Phil

Hi @psmith.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I can’t think of a great way to just copy over the tentacle configuration between servers, but, we do have some automating tentacle installation documentation and scripts here that might help speed up the configuration process.

How many tentacles do you need to move if I may ask?

Sorry I didn’t have better news but please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Garrett

We have roughly 40 tentacles to copy. Trying to reduce that number before we actually start doing it.

Phil

Hi @psmith,

I just spoke to our solutions team, we might have an easier path forward using our SpaceCloner tool. The use case would be registering the existing tentacles to either a new Octopus Instance or a different space on the same instance.

Could you take a look at this and let me know if that’ll work for your use case?

Regards,
Garrett

Oooh… that might work! Let me play with it on our test servers and I’ll get back to you, probably on Monday.

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Does this script have to be run from the Octopus server or the server where the tentacle is installed?

Hi @psmith,

The SpaceCloner scripts can be run from anywhere that has access to the SourceOctopusURL and DestinationOctopusURL, so it really depends on how you have your networking set up.

If both the source and destination are the same instance but in different spaces - it would probably be easiest just to run it on Octopus Server as it eliminates any devices in between.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Garrett

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is going to work. We are running an older version of Octopus (2018.8.4) on the source server while the destination server is running 2022.2 and the script docs specifically state they must be on the same major/minor release.

Hi @psmith,

Ah, that’s indeed unfortunate. That scenario would not be unsupported and likely wouldn’t work properly due to API changes between those versions.

You could potentially create a test instance on the 2018.8.4, use SpaceCloner on your source instance to the test instance. You would then Upgrade to 2022.2 on the test instance and SpaceClone again to your destination instance. This would keep the versions lined up for cloning.

Otherwise - going the manual route, and since your targets are not changing:
You could potentially add a secondary Tentacle on each of those machines, get them configured on the new instance with environments/scoping you want, and disable the new Tentacles on Octopus Server (until you’re ready to go live on the new instance). You’d then want to disable the tentacles on the old instance.

Sorry I did not have better news, but please let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Garrett

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.