Moving Octopus to new Azure environment

Team,

As of now we are having Azure in one subscription environment, we are planning to move to new environment as per client requirement.

We have 60 users/tentacle license…

Questions

1. We are planning to clone our exiting Octopus environment , once moved successfully, then planned to decommissioned current environment. In this case, Octopus server will be in two server for one or two week. Can you please advise about licensing part ?

2. After cloning current octopus environment, if the deployment happened in the existing environment. How to sync similar data into new environment (Including nuget package)

Please share your thoughts

Venkat

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for getting in touch! A maximum of three Octopus instances are allowed per license, so this process is fine from a license point of view.

If you’re setting this Server up for the first time, our general suggestion on moving and using data is pretty well aligned with what you explained:

1. Set up the new instance
  2. Restore the database
  3. Test things like package use, Tentacle communication, functionality and deployments
  4. When you are ready to cut over, stop using the current instance
  5. Do a last data migration (preferably via database restore)
  6. Start using your new instance and decommission your current instance
    While continuing to use your existing instance for your normal tasks.

The best idea is to plan ahead. With any big move, there will have to be a period where no new data is created.

But to help give you more specific suggestions on moving your instance, could you answer a couple of questions to clarify your scenario?
Are you planning on moving just your Octopus Server, or both the Server and SQL database?
Will you be using Azure SQL or SQL Server? We have seen some issues with database restore in Azure SQL.

I look forward to hearing back!

Kenny

Thanks for your response

But to help give you more specific suggestions on moving your instance, could you answer a couple of questions to clarify your scenario?
Are you planning on moving just your Octopus Server, or both the Server and SQL database? We are planning to move both DB as well as sever
Will you be using Azure SQL or SQL Server? We have seen some issues with database restore in Azure SQL. - Azure SQL … What kind of challenge will be there while restoring Azure SQL

MY questions/worries is another in the below areas as well

I can understand, after setup everything (do last migration) , Octopus server and tentacles connectivity/communication will not be issue.

1.  But  as of now we are deployment using nugget packages,  while moving to new environment, how to ensure octopus is taking same package number like existing environment (Ex ; We are having 25+ different nugget packages for deployment In the existing environment, Octopus taking nugget version number 2.2 for a package. After moving successfully (After last db migration), how to ensure octopus will take latest packages

If you are able to understan my questions (1) , highligted in blue, I will try to explain with picture(screen print).

Thanks & Regards

image001.jpg

Hi Venkat,

I just wanted to quickly get in touch to ask if you could attach the screenshot you mentioned. It doesn’t seem to have been included, and it could be useful :slight_smile:

I have also closed your duplicate question and we can continue discussing your migration here.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Hi

1 . Like this we have 25+ Nuget Packages
[cid:image001.png@01D27575.D863FAA0]

1. This the steps to take packages and push to target servers
    [cid:image002.png@01D27575.D863FAA0]

3 . MY question is

1.   As of today,  my latest packages is as below.

2.   Today(23rd Jan 2017) we are moving/cloning  all the environment to new locations

3.    Assume, we have completed all the Octopus server and tentacle set up completed on 29th Jan 2017

4.   Again we took octopus DB backup and restoring it.

a. Assume latest packages version are changed/increased as some changes has been done by development team. Like Sitecore (8.1.2) , MVC (5.2.4)

b. In the new environment, Whether latest packages will be available for deployment after restoring db again or do I need to any other steps ?

[cid:image004.png@01D27577.42F47240]

Thanks & Regards

[Description: Description: cid:image009.jpg@01CF9AE4.8D0D8C10]

Venkataraman Swaminathan

image001.jpg

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for following up with that extra information. To answer your question about your packages, it will depend on which repository you’re using.

If you’re using the built-in repository, then you will have to move the contents of the folder (located in C:\Octopus\Packages in standard installs) to the same folder on the new Server.

If you use external feeds for your packages, they should be able to connect when you set up your new Server. Ensure that it connects before you cutover.

When you create the database in Azure, ensure it is created using the same collation type as used in your existing database. Be cautious using third party tools to move the database, and always keep a backup. We’ll make sure to follow up with you soon with more information.

Kind regards,

Kenny