Moving Database to new Server

Hi Team,

Currently we have Octopus database in the same server. Could you please let me know the connection string format when we move the Octopus data base to new server.

Also let us know what all steps need to be done to complete this activity.

Thanks.

Hi @Pradeep.Duraisamy,

Thanks for reaching out.

Here is some documentation on moving the database. The connection string will be dependent on your SQL server and security used. The documentation has a section on that and a link to more information. Can you please run through that and see if that gets you to a good state or let if you have more questions?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

If we use SQL server authentication let us know how to configure the USER ID and password in the config. Without user id and password hope the Octopus will not be able to access the database.

ex: Data Source = IP:Portnumber/Databasename, Security = “”; Userid = “”; Pwd="";

Thanks.

Hi @Pradeep.Duraisamy,

Here is an example of one of mine, but I recommend testing this before trying to implement in prod. Your correct SQL connection string might vary, but this is the expected format for username and password using sql auth.

"Server=tcp:192.168.139.160\SQLEXPRESS,1433;Initial Catalog=Octopus;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=Jeremy;Password=passwordgoeshere;MultipleActiveResultSets=False;Connection Timeout=30;ConnectRetryInterval=1;ConnectRetryCount=3;Min Pool Size=2"

Please let me know if that works for you or if you need more assistance.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the update. This will help a lot.

When we do changes, kindly let me know what are the files i need to do backup.

Thanks

Hi @Pradeep.Duraisamy,

That information is in the documentation I sent you above. Most importantly, when you are making changes you should always take a full database backup to ensure there is something to fall back on. Please read the documentation and be sure you’re fully comfortable with all of the information before you attempt your changes.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.