Missing Releases

We have had number of releases that just disappeared. They were deployed across multiple environments, but then suddenly vanished. We thought it might be retention policy, but there is no log of them being removed, and they were within the limits of the retention policy.

It is tempting to write this off as a one time bug or something, but we were hoping to find the cause incase it is the symptom of a larger issue.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear that you are having issues with release retention.

Are you able to confirm which version of Octopus you are running? The reason I ask this is that as of 3.15.8 we added a feature that logs every removal triggered by the retention policy to your audit log, so if you are running this version or newer it should appear there. Unfortunately, prior to this version we only kept the latest 4 retention policy logs, and since this task runs every 4 hours if you didn’t notice the removal within 16 hours we had no way of tracing the cause of any removal.

If you are running 3.15.8 or newer please review your audit log as any deletion events should be logged there. Otherwise, if at all possible I would recommend upgrading to the at least 3.15.8 (preferably to current) so that if this issue does re-occur when can trace what happened.

Sorry that I don’t have better news for you,

Regards,

Alex

We are on version 3.13.6. We can upgrade and report back if it happens again.

Thanks, feel free to close the ticket

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update, please let me know if there is anything else we can do to assist!

Regards,

Alex