Missing releases in overview

Hi,

We were using Octopus 3.16.x and had an issue with Releases disappearing in the Overview page of that project. We then upgraded to 2018.4.7 in the hopes that this would solve the issue, but alas.
I can view the audit log and see an event that a release has been created, but no event that it has been removed. I do have to add that it has not been released. (at least in the more recent cases, since we switched to 2018.4.7).
I do have to mention that we automatically create a release for every build. Is there perhaps a bug when faced with a lot of releases?
So far, we’re stumped.

Thanks,
Luk

Hi Luk,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this confusing behavior. I would like to learn a bit more about your scenario to correctly determine if this is a bug or not.

When you say I do have to add that it has not been released, do you mean the releases have been created, but they haven’t been deployed to any environment in Octopus yet?

Do you see these releases in your [Project] > Releases page in the UI? i.e. are you only not able to see these releases in the Overview page? Since the Overview page only displays a certain number of releases, it could be possible that the releases themselves haven’t been deleted, but instead just aren’t displayed on the Overview page.

If the releases are missing with no audit of them being removed, that would be strange and worrying. Would you be able to provide an export of your audit log for us to look at in this case?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

I’m sorry, it seems I provided some misleading information. Whenever I talked about the Overview page, I actually meant the [Project] > Releases page.

Your assumption is also correct that I have indeed created a release (through the Octo.exe client application if that makes any difference) as a part of our CI pipeline. The deployment of the release is a manual action that a tester has to take manually, so it happens that a release has not been deployed to any environment.

I have provided an export of the audit log (filtered on Release Document Type and Project) in attachment, and a screenshot of the missing releases in the UI.

You can take a look at Release 0.0.1-master.1705 for example. It’s nowhere to be found. When I click on the referenced link from the audit log I get another error that it no longer exists, please

Release_not_found

Audit_export_2018_05_03__05_49_17_UTC.csv (37.4 KB)

Hi Luk,

Thanks for following up and providing those logs. I strongly suspect that release deletions aren’t included in your audit log because we introduced this deletion audit entry for this event via retention policies in 3.15.8 as referenced in the following issue.

However, to confirm, would you be able to provide some additional information?

Which version specifically were you on prior to the upgrade? Was it a later version than 3.15.8 which included the audit entry of retention policy deleting releases?
Were these releases deleted via the retention policy?
Are you seeing the same behavior after the upgrade when retention policies are run?

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

You were right. The logs did not include the retention policy logs. I filtered for all logs of Document Type Release, but apparently Retention Policy Deletions are not included.
This actually explains all our issues and we can take it from here.

Cheers for putting us on the right path!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.