Missing permission: TeamView error while selecting the Process for each project in Octopus

Hi Team, Users are getting permission error for “TeamView” while selecting the “Process” under Project in Octopus. This error is coming for each project and attached the screenshot and Json file for details.

“An unexpected error occurred in Octopus v2018.6.5: You do not have permission to perform this action. Please contact your Octopus administrator. Missing permission: TeamView”.

Thanks
Tanwir Ahmad

compadmin-odata-process (1).json (11.2 KB)

Hi Tanwir,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m very sorry to hear you’re hitting this annoying and unexpected issue. Unfortunately I haven’t had any luck reproducing this behavior exactly, though I have recently seen an issue that could possibly be related.

This issue was regarding a user who belongs to multiple teams, one being administrators, and the other being a team whose permissions were scoped. These users were incorrectly having their permissions restricted based on the scoped team they’re a part of. Would you be able to provide a copy of this user’s permissions so I can confirm what’s going on exactly? You can get this in your web portal under Configuration > Test Permissions and selecting the user. This should help me confirm what’s going on here. :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back and getting to the bottom of this one!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi kenny,

Thanks for your reply and sharing the same details. Please let me know if you need anything more.

Thanks
Tanwir
Permissions_export_2018_08_13__11_36_00_UTC.csv (21.8 KB)

Hi Tanwir,

Thanks for following up and providing that information. It looks like this message showing the missing TeamView permission is a result of your email step that’s configured to send the email to recipients via the #{ToEmailIds} variable shown in your project JSON export. This message shouldn’t be preventing this user from making any required changes (besides editing the email recipients due to their restricted permissions), and that’s the result in my local instance when testing in 2018.6.5 and 2018.7.9 (latest). Is this user encountering any issues, like with editing the project itself?

You could avoid this by granting this user TeamView, or you could safely close the message.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I’ve in any way misunderstood here. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny/Team, Thanks for sharing the steps to verify the issue with user. Now i verified and found that Team is getting error while trying to add “Email” template or save in Process step for correct recipient. I shared the screenshot for reference.

Thanks
Tanwir Ahmad

Hi Tanwir,

Thanks for following up and letting me know you’ve uncovered the reason for this message! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

HI Kenny,

Team is getting error “TeamViewr” while adding the “Email Template” in Process step. This error is occurring only for this template otherwise they are able to add any template without any error. This error is not preventing any changes for any steps. Kindly suggest the solution to resolve this pop up window error.

Thanks
Tanwir Ahmad

Hi Kenny/Team,

Any update on this error msg. Now multiple team are reporting same issue.
This error message is coming when they are trying to add the Email Template in their process of Project or clicking the process in project where EMail step is already exist.

Kindly look this issue on priority basis and share the solution for same.

Thanks
Tanwir Ahmad

Hi Tanwir,

Thanks for following up! This is indeed an interesting question on whether or not this message should display. I can see how it’d be a bit annoying to have it pop up each time you visit that page. I’m planning on bringing this up with my team to determine if there’s a better way to approach this.

What’s the contents of the email? If it’s intended to be a notification of a successful deployment or something like that, perhaps you could configure a subscription to send the email instead of the email step. Subscriptions (introduced in 3.5) are a way for you to “subscribe” to certain events, and when they occur in Octopus it can trigger an email or webhook notification, and you could work around this message that way. You can read more about this feature in our documentation. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think or if you have any further questions moving forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.