Migrate from version 3.2.24 to latest version hosted elsewhere

Hi,
We have 10 projects to migrate and several variable sets.
What would be the best approach here?
Main challenge is variable sets, how to export/import them since many variables are encrypted?

Hi Joona,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The path that I would recommend is to use the Octopus.Migrator, documentation on this process is available here. Note that this supports exporting and importing sensitive variables:

If you use sensitive variables, these will be encrypted in the JSON using a password (note that sensitive variables are normally stored in SQL encrypted with your master key; the exporter will decrypt them, then encrypt them with this new password).

You do need to be aware that this process will only successfully work if both the source and destination Octopus Servers are the same version (so in your case 3.2.24). What I would recommend is upgrading whichever server is currently at the lower version to match the server that is at the higher, as downgrading versions of Octopus is not possible (as we don’t provide downgrade scripts in our installers, only upgrade scripts). I would highly recommend ensuring that you have an up-to-date database and master key backup before performing any upgrades.

Please let me know if you would like more information on the upgrade process,

Regards,
Alex

As I see this approach has couple of issues:

• We would have to buy new license just to upgrade this old instance temporarily
  • This would require risky upgrade of production critical service. We’d like to migrate in phases if possible.

Is there any way we could generate migrator supported export of variables using some other method? After all these are just rows in a database.

Hi Joona,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one.

Unfortunately all of our migration processes require consistent versions, as the upgrade scripts (that make sure the rows in the database are in the required format and have valid data) are in the Octopus installer, via DBUP scripts. .

What I would recommend at this point would be to register for a fresh trial trial license of Octopus (to avoid paying for a license just to perform an upgrade), migrate your existing 3.2.24 install database to a new instance then use the new trial license to upgrade that version to the required version to match your external host. You can then repeat the export/import process to your new host and cut over your production use.

I hope that all makes sense, please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist with or if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.