Machine policy for Service Fabric

We’ve automated building out ephemeral dev environments for developers and having them register the respective deployment targets with Octopus. One of the deployment targets created is a Service Fabric cluster, which I have attached to a machine policy to automatically delete deployment targets after a certain period of unavailability. It appears that machine policies don’t clean-up Service Fabric targets. Is there another way to do this?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Could you please confirm what version of Octopus you are running?

Unfortunately it’s not possible to attach policies to targets of the “Service Fabric” type via our UI at present. Did you achieve this by using the API directly, or were you able to achieve this through the UI in your version?

We’ll discuss this in the cloud team this week. Machine policies were originally only intended for Listening, Polling and SSH targets, but there seems to be some useful features of machine policies that would be useful to cloud targets as well.

One way to achieve this at present would be custom scripting using our REST API.

Once I have an answer for you about the machine policies, I’ll follow up.

Cheers
Mark

I’m using 2019.2.1 and yes I did this with the API.

Hi Chris, just following up on this,

We have discussed this and agree that this would be very useful and will be looking to enable this exact scenario. This is however part of a larger set of changes that is needed, so can’t provide an exact time frame at this point in time.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Regards,
Shaun

Hi again Chris,

Just following up on this, we’ve created a GitHub issue here outlining all the issues we need to solve around cloud targets and machine policies. You can track this to be notified when a fix is available.

Hope this helps
Mark