Lots of Octopus Tentacle errors showing in eventlog

Tentacle version 2.3.6.1385-x64

The health checks pass and the Tentacle is deploying my releases to the server but every few seconds the error below shows up in the event log and in the Octopus logs.

I have Tentacles installed on 6 servers and this issue is happening on 4 of them. The other 2 aren’t reporting errors every few seconds.

2014-04-18 16:32:15.6331  ERROR  Invalid request
System.Net.ProtocolViolationException: Request syntax was invalid
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ReadPrelude(Stream clientStream) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 112
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ParseRequest(Stream clientStream, Method& method, Uri& uri, RequestHeaders& headers, String& protocol) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 53
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ApplyProtocol(AuthorizationResult authorizationResult, EndPoint clientEndPoint, String clientThumbprint, Stream clientStream) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 140
2014-04-18 16:32:24.9621  ERROR  Invalid request
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ReadPrelude(Stream clientStream) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 112
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.ProtocolParser.ParseRequest(Stream clientStream, Method& method, Uri& uri, RequestHeaders& headers, String& protocol) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\ProtocolParser.cs:line 53
   at Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp.Server.SecureTcpServer.ApplyProtocol(AuthorizationResult authorizationResult, EndPoint clientEndPoint, String clientThumbprint, Stream clientStream) in c:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\cf0b1f41263b24b9\source\Pipefish.Transport.SecureTcp\Server\SecureTcpServer.cs:line 140
2014-04-18 16:32:25.0713  ERROR  Invalid request

Hi Bob,

Is it possible there’s a port scanner, or even an older (1.6) Octopus server trying to connect to the Tentacles? The error’s consistent with something else hitting the Tentacle port.

Any ideas along these lines?

Cheers,
Nick

I don’t think there is a port scanner running since we didn’t have this issue before the 2.3 upgrade.

I did upgrade from 1.6 and still have it installed. But I removed all the machines from the 1.6 install and stopped the Octopus service and turn off and removed the web portal. I was keeping it installed just in case I needed it for reference. Is there still a 1.6 service running that I don’t know about that is still hitting the Tentacles? If that is the case wouldn’t I be seeing this error on all 6 of my servers instead of just 4 of them?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I figured out the issues. I had a test instance of 2.3 installed on my local machine to test the 1.6 database import. Once I uninstalled that the errors went away.