I looking for guidance on the best approach for how we can determine what could break in doing a upgrade from our current version of the Octopus 3.17.10 to the latest version. Plus the best steps in doing the upgrade without crashing our production system.
I am thinking of taking a copy of the current database and setting up that copy as the database for the new version to attach to and upgrade. Or do I need to install a copy of my current 3.17.10 server tied to that copied of the database and than do the upgrade.
I cannot upgrade in place on production since we cannot have any down time unless I can have a fix know time with no breaking changes and that never happens.
Thanks for your help
Thanks for getting in touch!
The process is fairly straightforward, I’ll outline each step below
- Backup current database and master key as per documentation here
- Restore Database to a new location
- Install Octopus 3.17.10 on a new server, attached to the restored database (you will need the master key from step 1 here)
- Upgrade new instance to latest
- Put new instance into production
The only thing to be aware of is that while you have both instances online your Tentacles will trust both servers so they can interfere with each other if you are deploying to the same machines at the same time from each instance.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else that I can assist with,