Linux tentacle (v5.0.12) fails to connect to the server (v2019.12.2 LTS)

Hi Team,

We successfully installed listening linux tentacle v5.012 on one of our debian 10 instances by following the official instructions. However, it fails the health-check with following “Unable to receive the remote identity; the identity line was empty.” error message on the server:

and logs on the tentacle in debug mode shows:

config is also attached here:

{                                                                               
  "Octopus": {                                                                  
    "Home": "/etc/octopus/Tentacle",                                            
    "Watchdog": {                                                               
      "Enabled": false,                                                         
      "Instances": null,                                                        
      "Interval": 0                                                             
    }                                                                           
  },                                                                            
  "Tentacle": {                                                                 
    "CertificateThumbprint": "3F2F726E940XXXXXXX",        
    "Communication": {                                                          
      "TrustedOctopusServers": [                                                
        {                                                                       
          "Thumbprint": "D75592XXXXXXXXXXXXX",             
          "CommunicationStyle": 1,                                              
          "Address": null,                                                      
          "Squid": null,                                                        
          "SubscriptionId": null                                                
        }                                                                       
      ]                                                                         
    },                                                                          
    "Deployment": {                                                             
      "ApplicationDirectory": "/home/Octopus/Applications"                      
    },                                                                          
    "Services": {                                                               
      "ListenIP": null,                                                         
      "NoListen": false,                                                        
      "PortNumber": 10933                                                       
    }                                                                           
  }                                                                             
} 

We do have an enterprise proxy server but it is not used in this case. The windows tentacle works fine with the same config in the same environment. So we have no idea why the linux tentacle didn’t work in this case and hope you can help. Many thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting in touch and providing a great level of detail. I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this trouble! We’ve seen this error message occur in the past in cases where SSL off-loading is enabled, and removing it cleared it up (reference this past thread).

I’ve also seen this error message resolved by deleting the Tentacle and re-adding it from scratch.

Can you let me know if either of those helps get these Tentacles working as expected?

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for getting back with some possible solutions. However, we couldn’t find luck from them.

The SSL off-loading issue is not applicable as the tentacle talks directly to octopus server internally with nothing in the way. And the same error still persists after many rounds of delete-then-reinstall. Cheers.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for following up and confirming that. Sorry to hear that didn’t help! Could you send us through this Tentacle’s full logs? I’m hoping that gives us more context to continue troubleshooting this issue.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Sure! I just attached the log file of a newly spun tentacle. Hope this may help. Cheers.

OctopusTentacle.txt (8.2 KB)