Linux Container CustomExtensions Location

Hello,
Where would I find the %ProgramData%\Octopus\CustomExtensions equivalent in the Linux Container Image? I was unable to find anything similar in the image or in the documentation.
Kind Regards,
Ian

Hi @ianburrows.sa

Thanks for your question.

On my local docker instance (running as part of a docker compose setup), when I run an interactive shell e.g.

sudo docker exec -it <CONTAINER-ID> /bin/bash

You should find yourself immediately in the /Octopus folder.

As far as I am aware the CustomExtensions folder would sit within the /Octopus folder.

The folder doesn’t exist on startup, since custom extensions, are by the nature of the term, custom :slight_smile:.

Therefore if you wanted to place a custom extension in the folder, that’d be possible, but you’d need to copy the files in. Typically this would be done by creating a custom docker image and creating your container from that image (I don’t think we support loading them from a volume).

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark thanks,
OK I played around and it doesn’t pick up the plugins in CustomExtensions but I placed them in /Octopus/BuiltInExtensions with the custom container and they are loaded.
Kind Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you for letting me know. I’ll check with our engineers in case the folder name has changed.
If it has, I’ll get our documentation updated too.

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Ian,

I did some further research, and it turns out my initial suggestion was based on an incorrect assumption that the folder was local to the Octopus install directory. Instead, it’s derived from the Environment.SpecialFolder.CommonApplicationData (Environment.SpecialFolder Enum (System) | Microsoft Docs)

The Linux default for this directory is /usr/share.

Therefore the full path that Octopus would check in the context of a linux container would be:

/usr/share/Octopus/CustomExtensions

I’d be interested to know if this works for you.

Best regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,
No unfortunately that does not work. Octopus does not pick up the extension.
Kind Regards,
Ian

Hi @ianburrows.sa

Thanks for testing that out and confirming it didn’t pick the extension up.

I’ve passed the details along to our engineers as it sounds like it could be a bug with the Linux container.

I’ll update you when I get further information on this.

Best regards,
Mark

Great thanks a lot Mark! I tested it with 2020.6.4671 Linux image.

Hi @ianburrows.sa

A GitHub issue: Linux Container doesn't appear to load Custom Extensions · Issue #6849 · OctopusDeploy/Issues · GitHub has been raised for the problem.

I can’t say when it will be resolved, but you can track its progress by watching the issue.

Thanks, Mark

Great, thanks for the update Mark!
Best,
Ian