Link Releases Back To Work Items in Azure DevOps

Is there a way to add a reference to the Octopus release moving between process stages in Azure DevOps work items.

Essentially I would like for Octopus to tell DevOps that the work item linked to a release has moved from for example Internal Test to External Test. That way our team working in DevOps Boards can see immediately what environment work items are on. I realise I can see which work items are being deployed on Octopus but I would like it to reverse communicate this to DevOps and update the work Item. I know there is some existing set up for this.

Even if you could just create a link to the Octopus release that was created as part of the build pipeline in each work item that would be a start!

Thanks,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is a fantastic question, though unfortunately I haven’t seen any examples of something like this being accomplished in the past. As far as I’m aware this functionality would need to be manually built from scratch. Can I ask what you’re referring to when you say “I know there is some existing set up for this”? It’d be awesome to see some part of this already solved, and I’ll be more than happy to bring this up with the engineers to hopefully get some more ideas. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenneth, what I meant by some existing setup was that I can see build information and work items for this and it can read stuff from work items I just want it to write something back. Through the Azure DevOps intergration in the octopus settings. A way to set this up from octopus would be if it was possible to get the release number out of the create release build step. That way I could manually construct the URL of the release on the work item.

The create release step doesnt seem to provide any output variables though. Would I be right in assuming this?

Thanks,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for following up and elaborating on that. You’re correct that creating the release won’t populate the release version as an output variable, as output variables are only generated during a deployment. You could however configure a setting in your project to automatically version your releases based on an included package version, so you could rely on that to build the URL? I’ve included a screenshot below showing this setting in the project.

I hope that helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.